Home » Infrastructure » Other Operating Systems » Oracle on OS/390
Oracle on OS/390 [message #113941] Tue, 05 August 2003 03:12 Go to next message
Elsje Guldenpfennig
Does anybody have current information regarding the pro's and con's of Oracle on OS/390 i.e. performance, resource utilization.

A 1998 article of an acclaimed analyst group (http://www.metagroup.com/cgi-bin/inetcgi/jsp/displayArticle.do?oid=13509) recommended the use of DB2 on OS/390 and Oracle on Unix. Is this stil valid and why???
Re: Oracle on OS/390 [message #113946 is a reply to message #113941] Mon, 18 August 2003 03:47 Go to previous message
paul mansfield
Elsje,
I can't see the contents of that article so it's difficult to pass comment. We do run Oracle on a mainframe (8.1.7.4 on Z/OS 1.3).
In its favour, it is far more stable than our Oracle instances on Unix. It's hard to do a like for like comparison on performance.
The only negative we have found is that there is a small user base. Thus, its best not to take 'hot off the press' releases of new Oracle software. We do however find that new patches we request from scratch are provided far more rapidly on the mainframe (possibly to do with mainfarme diagnostics being better). There can be a few issues with links between Oracle mainframe and Oracle UNIX but these can usually be worked around. As far as a comparison between DB2 and Oracle on the mainframe is concerned - I can't really comment - I get the feeling that Oracle may be a bit faster while DB2 is more reliable.
: Does anybody have current information regarding the pro's and con's of Oracle on OS/390 i.e. performance, resource utilization.

: A 1998 article of an acclaimed analyst group (http://www.metagroup.com/cgi-bin/inetcgi/jsp/displayArticle.do?oid=13509) recommended the use of DB2 on OS/390 and Oracle on Unix. Is this stil valid and why???
Previous Topic: Z1.3.0 Compatibility
Next Topic: Access Oracle via CICS
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 18:53:54 CDT 2024